Port O' Call confusion | Buzz Blog
DONATE

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Port O' Call confusion

Posted By on August 4, 2009, 2:39 PM

  • Pin It
    Favorite

I just spoke with Jeannette Knowley, former co-owner of Port O' Call -- "the best night spot downtown" by many people's reckoning -- about the news that she and husband Kent have reached a settlement with the federal government for their condemned bar.%uFFFDThey%uFFFDwere forced to make%uFFFDway for a new courthouse. The Shubrick Building that once housed Port O' Call had been appraised at $5.4 million but they'll get $7.5 million, or thereabouts.

---

"The settlement happened a long time ago," was%uFFFDJeanette's first reaction. "A couple of months ago."

Jeanette did not say that Tribune reporter Pamela Manson was wrong about anything, only that the story gives the impression the settlement is news, but to Jeanette, it's totally olds. She said the numbers Manson reported were "approximately correct."

Well, it was news to us.

Jeanette wouldn't comment on the story at all.

"Our deal is we don't want any more press with this thing," she said. "We're still in negotiations on other issues."

This column by John Saltas from February will get you caught up.%uFFFD The photo on the right of the lifeless Shubrick was taken by Bill Frost this morning.

Tags:

About The Author

Jesse Fruhwirth

Bio:
Jesse Fruhwirth: Twitter | Facebook | News Blog

On Topic...

More by Jesse Fruhwirth

  • Johnny's Rotten

    Johnny Bangerter wants to move forward as an activist but just can't shake his racist punk past
    • Apr 10, 2013
  • Right of Way

    Eviction of Occupy SLC is a loss for community
    • Nov 23, 2011
  • The Limbo Party

    Redistricting: How low can Utah Dems go?
    • May 19, 2011
  • More »

Latest in Buzz Blog

© 2021 Salt Lake City Weekly

Website powered by Foundation