Eight little-known facts about the Sundance Film Festival:
8. The first film screened at the inaugural festival was the Tom Hanks tour de force Bachelor Party.
7. Sundance helped elevate film critics from mildly self-absorbed to staggeringly self-important.
6. Martin Scorsese is oft-quoted as saying, “I wish I’d made Bachelor Party.”
5. The festival generates $80 million for Utah’s economy; $90 million for terrible DJs.
4. Bachelor Party’s sublime tale of love, loss and donkey trafficking still rings true today.
3. Sundance actually takes place in front of a green screen on a Hollywood sound stage.
2. Thanks to Bachelor Party, Hanks went onto international acclaim; costar Adrian Zmed died penniless in a Barstow motel.
1. For some reason, The Ocho never gets invited to any Sundance parties. Or bachelor parties.