For some reason, whenever I read a news item about Lindsey Graham, it takes my brain a few moments to remember whether the good U.S. senator from the Palmetto State is a woman (like Olympic skier Lindsey Vonn) or a man (like folk-rock guitarist Lindsey Buckingham).
Not that there's any reason a senator's sex should matter. It's just that when I read a pronouncement from a member of that august body on some important issue such as war, jobs or marriage, I like to visualize a face to go along with the quotation.
Following is a list of (possibly) androgynously named U.S. senators. Can you guess what sex they are? (Hint: As far as I know, none of them is transgender, so the only possible solutions are "male" and "female." Answers appear below.)
1. Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina)
2. Sen. Kelly Ayote (R-New Hampshire)
3. Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio)
4. Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-Georgia)
5. Sen. Kay R. Hagan (R-North Carolina)
6. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Texas)
7. Sen. Pat Roberts (R-Kansas)
8. Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-Rhode Island)
1. Male; 2. Female; 3. Male; 4. Male; 5. Female; 6. Female; 7. Male; 8. Male
Brandon's Big Gay Blog