Dear GYA, I've been playing around with a couple of different inspirational mantras to say to myself while I work out. For squats, I yell, "Come forth, foul beast!" For push-ups, I whisper "Feel my mighty hammer" and whenever I do bench presses, I loudly chant, "Cast off, dark spirits of the deep." Anything going on this weekend I can create a mantra for? - Janine Freshelstein, The Avenues
Janine, I also have a mantra that I use while I'm writing; well, it's actually it's more of incoherent muttering mixed with deep sighs. But, it's still a mantra. Here's what's up this weekend. Let's start with Friday's events:
- Nashville-based string band, Old Crow Medicine Show will be at Red Butte tonight. However, the show is sold out, so if you don't have tickets you're screwed. The show starts at 7:30.
- Stand-up comedian Dwyane Perkins will be at Wiseguys Trolley Square this evening. The show starts at 7:30. Tickets are $12.
- The monthly dub-step installment Dubwise will be going down at Urban Lounge, starting at 9 p.m. There's a $5 cover.
- The 2nd Annual DJ Contest at The Hotel will be kicking off tonight at 9.
- At Spring Mobile Ballpark, the Bees will be taking on the Tacoma Raniers, beginning at 7 p.m. Fireworks follow.
- Local band Holy Water Buffalo will be onstage at Notch Pub, beginning at 9 p.m.
- The State Room will be hosting country band Micky and The Motorcars tonight at 9. Tickets are $18.
- In all things arena football, the Blaze will be taking on the Voodoo tonight at Energy Solutions Arena. The game starts at 7. Tickets start at $10.
- Rapper Problem will be performing at the Home Grown Hip-Hop Championship tonight at The Complex. The show starts at 7.
- Park City Live will be hosting experimental indie band Portugal, The Man this evening. The shows starts 8. Tickets are $20.
- Local DJs Cobol, Mamabeatz and Bello will be at Urban Lounge. The show starts at 9 p.m. There's a $5 cover after 10:30 p.m.
- Singer-songwriter Nicki Bluhm and the Gramblers will be at Snowbasin Resort this afternoon. Admission is free. The show starts at 3:30.
- True TV, City Weekly & Bohemian Brewery will be cacthing you up on the first half of the fifth and final season of Breaking Bad before the Aug. 11 return -- two episodes every Sunday (except July 28) for free on the big screen! The show starts at 8 p.m.
- DJ Street Jesus will be hosting Funk and Soul Night at Bourbon House, beginning at 9 p.m.
For the weekend's complete list of things to do, click here.