Dear GYA, I'm very grateful you write this daily events blog -- everyday it helps me plan things to do with my wife and family; it's very helpful. But I have to ask, have you ever been engaged in hand-to-hand combat with a bear? Because, if you haven't, how can I trust that you know what you're talking about when it comes to great concerts, shows and sporting events? - Brian Maculfreem, The Avenues
Brian, I've never engaged in hand-to-hand combat with a bear. However, I once battled a bear with a sword. So, I suppose, in a way, I'm kind of an expert when it comes to curating decent events. Here's what's happening this weekend, starting with Friday:
- At Spring Mobile Ballpark, the Salt Lake Bees will be taking on the Tucson Padres; first pitch is at 6:35 p.m.
- The Rooftop Concert Series will be going down at Velour tonight, featuring music by Desert Noises, The Blue Acres and Caleb Darger. The show starts at 7:30.
- Stand-up comedian and winner of Comedy Central's Last Comic Standing Felipe Esparza will be onstage at Wiseguys West Valley this evening. Tickets are $20. Shows are at 7:30 and 9:30.
- The 10th Annual Live Green SLC Festival! will be going down at the downtown Main Library today starting at 11 a.m. City Weekly's The Word will be there, snapping pics and handing out swag.
- The folk-jam band Gonzalo Bergara Quartet will be onstage at The State Room at 9 p.m. Tickets are $17.
- In the wide world of roller derby, the Black Diamond Divas will be taking on the Hot Wheelers, starting at 7 p.m. at the Derby Depot.
- The Bourbon House will be hosting DJ Street Jesus for the weekly Funk and Soul Night party. The funk starts at 9.
- City Weekly, True TV, Bohemian Brewery & Brewvies will be showing a free screening of Season 6 of AMC's Mad Men on the big screen, starting at 8 p.m.
For the weekend's complete list of things to do, check out our online listings.