Dear GYA, A storm is never, never late nor early; it arrives precisely when it means to. Anything happening this weekend now that I'm wizarding all over Salt Lake City. -Gandalf, The Storm
Gandalf, Yes, you did arrive exactly when you said you would, you punctual turd. Here's what's up this weekend. Let's start with Friday:
- How To Train Your Dragon Live Spectacular will be at EnergySolutions Arena. This all-ages show features more than a dozen dragons, some with wingspans of up to 46 feet, Viking warriors and world-class circus artists and acrobats combined with a heartwarming story. Game of Thrones fans will love this.
- Pioneer Theatre's presentation of The Philadelphia Story will be raising its curtains tonight. It's the story of a young Tom Hanks who is about to marry the man of his dreams, but when his dashing ex-husband and the two reporters assigned to cover his wedding descend on his family’s country house, Tom has a hard time keeping his nuptials. (All of that is true except the Tom Hanks part). The show starts at 8 p.m.
- Ex-Das Racist rapper Heems will be performing at Metro Bar. Doors open at 9 p.m.
- Tonight is Leonardo Night with City Weekly! As a gift to its readers, City Weekly is offering $5 off admission to the Leonardo's Da Vinci Exhibit all day on Friday, Jan.11. Use the discount code DGCW5 online or at the Leonardo's guest desk. Later that night, there will be a private City Weekly event at 6. RSVP on Facebook for more information and to be on the list. Light refreshments and drinks will be served.
- Bar Deluxe will be hosting the Sam, Slam, Rock & Roll party. Hosted by The Samuel Smith Band, expect a line-up of 20 or so local musicians, lots of covers and, basically, an all-around jam party. Doors open at 9 p.m.
- Singer Shemekia Copeland will be at The Egyptian Theatre tonight at 8.
- Johnny Cash Tribute band Cash'd Out will be performing at The State Room. Doors open at 9 p.m.
- In Park City, legendary DJ and producer Z-Trip will be at The Downstairs. DJ Dolph will be warming things up. Doors are at 8 p.m.
- Folk Hogan's Couch Show will be happening at Burt's Tiki Lounge at 9 p.m.
- The Rose Wagner Center will be presenting the Red Desert Ramblers Bluegrass show, beginning at 7:30 p.m.
- The Salty Tassels Burlesque Show will be happening at Bar Deluxe, starting at 9 p.m.
- Stand-up comedian Rory Scovel will be performing at Wiseguys Trolley Square. Times vary.
- City Weekly, True TV and Brewvies will be showing a free screening of the latest Downton Abbey episode on the big screen. Show starts at 8 p.m.
- Lumpy's Downtown will be hosting its popular Karaoke Night, beginning at 9.
- The 15th Street Gallery will be showcasing the new exhibit by Paris Gerrard all day today.
- At Park City Live, the bluegrass band Trampled By Turtles will be onstage. HoneyHoney will warm things up. Doors are at 8 p.m.
For the weekend's complete list of things to do, click here.