Dear GYA, I started watching this new show called Here Comes Honey Boo Boo. It's a Toddlers & Tiaras spin-off on TLC, and while afterwards it does make me want to take a cold shower with my clothes on, I can't seem to stop watching it. Hell, I've been on some pretty bad benders before -- like, I once survived a whole season of Brandy & Ray J while on a steady diet of caramel corn and Squeeze Its-- but this is a completely different beast. Anything to do this weekend after I suffer through TLC's summer programming? - Mitch Speckler, Sandy
Mitch, I know where you're coming from. TLC's summer line-up is excruciatingly hard to watch, yet we can't stop. Anyways, here's some good stuff to do this weekend other than watch crap television:
Let's start with Friday:
- Colbie Caillet and Gavin DeGraw will be performing at Red Butte Garden tonight at 7:30 p.m.
- Snowbird Ski and Summer resort will be showing a free screening of the 1984 classic The Karate Kid at 8 p.m.
- Indie bands, The Heartless Bastards and Little Hurricane will be onstage at Urban Lounge, beginning at 9 p.m.
- Acoustic-folk trio Horse Feathers will be live at Kilby Court. Doors open at 7 p.m.
- The grassroots music festival Uncle Uncanny's Summer Sessions will be going down at Deer Valley Resort, starting at noon.
- The 6th Annual Women's Redrock Music Festival will be going down at Moab Brewery.
- Wiseguys West Valley will be hosting stand-up comedian Guy Seidel tonight at 8 p.m.
- Meanwhile, Wiseguys in Trolley Square will feature comedian Jeff Dye at 7:30 p.m.
- And at Wiseguys Ogden, Rodney Norman will be on the mic at 8 p.m.
As for Saturday's events:
- The 14th Annual Fire & Ice Festival will be going down at Kearns Oquirrh Fitness Center all day today.Click the link for more details.
- Craft Lake City will be happening at the Gallivan Center starting at noon. Check in with City Weekly's The Word for free swag!
- Unita Brewhouse Pub will be hosting the 2nd Annual Cutthroat Beer Bash at 7 p.m.
- The Cahoots Duo Challenge race series will be happening at Soldier Hollow, starting at 9 a.m.
- The Downtown Farmers Market will be slangin' veggies, starting at 8 a.m.
- Grammy award-winning country singer Jo Dee Messina will be performing at West Jordan Arena.
- Stand-up comedian Marc Maron will be performing at Wiseguys West Valley at 7:30 p.m.
- For some derby action, check out the Wasatch Roller Derby as they take on the Happy Valley Derby Darlin's at 7 p.m.
And for Sunday:
- Brewvies, True TV, City Weekly and Red Rock Brewing will be showing the latest Breaking Bad episode, for free. The show starts at 8 p.m.
- Punk band The All-American Rejects will be performing at Deer Valley, starting at 7 p.m.
- Reggae legend Michael Franti & Spearhead will be live at Red Butte Garden tonight at 7:30 p.m.
- In Park City, the Park Silly Sunday Market will be starting up at 10 a.m.
- Kasino Karaoke will be starting up at Piper Down at 9 p.m.
For the weekend's complete list of things to do, click here.
Wolf is also the author of City Weekly's blog, The Secret Handshake.