Dear GYA, So, last night my wife said she wanted to go out to eat but, unfortunately, I made the mistake of saying, "Sure honey, where do you wanna go?" For a second there, I thought I was in for a long debate and then she responded, "Hey, let's go to Olive Garden." She actually picked a place to eat! She didn't say, "I don't care," or "You pick." She literally picked a restaurant. Good lord, I wanna celebrate--what's good this weekend? - James Frankenstick, West Valley City
James, I can't believe you were so excited that your wife picked a restaurant that you actually agreed to go to Olive Garden. Anyway, you need to cherish this moment. It may never happen again. Here are some good ideas for your weekend:
Let's start with Friday:
- Real Salt Lake will be taking on the Vancouver White Caps tonight at 7 p.m.
- The Salt Lake Bees will be hosting the Sacramento River Cats at 7:05 pm. Actress Geena Davis will throw out first pitch and sing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" for the 7th-inning stretch -- all to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the baseball classic A League of Their Own, which will be screened on the field after the game. Admission is free after the 8th inning.
- Stand-up comedian Keith Barany will be performing at Wiseguys Trolley Square.
- At 7 p.m., r&b legend Al Green will be onstage at Red Butte.
- Park City Live will be hosting reggae kings Black Uhuru tonight at 9 p.m.
- Lady's man Jeremih will be live at The Depot, starting at 8 p.m.
- The Utah Symphony will be performing Tchaikovsky’s "1812 Overture" as The Cannoneers of the Wasatch accompany with live cannons. The show starts at 7:30 p.m.
- Snowbird Ski Resort will be showing a free screening of the film Big tonight at 8 p.m.
As for Saturday's events:
- Club DJs will be celebrating its 30th Birthday tonight. City Weekly's The Word will be there handing out free swag and snappin' photos. The party starts at 9:30 p.m.
- PetSmart is throwing a Puppy and Kitten Carnival. Seriously, there will be a bouncy castle, cotton candy, the Disney Rockin' Road Show and obviously tons of cats and dogs to adopt. The carnival will be going on all day today.
- The Downtown Farmers Market will be starting up at 8 a.m. at Pioneer Park.
- Hotel Monaco will be turning 13 today. Starting at 4 p.m., it will be serving "decadent" ice cream outside the front door. Plus, stop by and see the new remodel.
- Sugar Space will be hosting Night at the Casbah. This is your chance to see Salt Lake City's premiere belly dancers. The doors open at 8 p.m.
- The Peruvian Festival will be going down at the Greek Orthodox Church at 11 a.m.
And finally Sunday's events:
- City Weekly, TrueTV, Red Rock Brewing and Brewvies will be hosting a free screening of AMC's Breaking Bad. The show starts at 9:30 p.m.
- The Utah Festival Opera will be performing My Fair Lady at the Ellen Eccles Theatre. Click the link for more details.
- The musical Wicked will be going down at the Capitol Theatre tonight at 8 p.m.
- In Park City, check out the Park Silly Sunday Market, beginning at 10 a.m.
- Singer Scottie Briggs will be on the patio at The Garage, starting at 6 p.m.
- British DJ and producer Star Slinger will be at Urban Lounge at 9 p.m.
For this weekend's complete list of things to do, click here.
Wolf is also the author of City Weekly's blog, The Secret Handshake.