Dear GYA, Sure, victory over me is one of the rarest jewels of all, but I'm not mad about being snubbed at this year's Emmys. I've always worked hard and that's all that matters. In fact, I got my first job when I was 9 -- worked at a sheet-metal factory; in two weeks, I was running the floor. Child-labor laws are ruining this country. Anything good this weekend for a guy who doesn't care for award shows? - Ron Swanson
Ron, you don't need to an Emmy to be great in my book -- besides, they're worthless. Just the other day, someone tried to trade me two Emmys for a Pizza Hut P'Zone. Here's what's happening this weekend:
Let's start with Friday:
- It's More Than Battle Rap is going down at Bar Deluxe tonight, beginning at 9 p.m.
- Learn how to ballroom dance at Ballrooom Extravaganza Night at DF Dance Studios, starting at 8 p.m.
- At 7:30 p.m., the Utah Symphony will be covering the music of the classic rock band Kansas at Deer Valley Resort.
- In Spanish Fork, don't miss out on Fiesta Days, going on all day.
- Snowbird Ski and Summer Resort will be showing a free screening of The Neverending Story at 8 p.m.
- At Park City Live, check out the Grammy-nominated DJ Morgan Page at 9 p.m.
- The MX Race Series will be going down at the Rocky Mountain Raceways, starting at 7 p.m.
- At Spring Mobile Park, the Salt Lake Bees will be taking on the Fresno Grizzlies at 7:05 p.m.; fireworks follow the game.
- Stand-up comedian Paul Sheffield will be performing at Wiseguys Trolley Square tonight.
As for Saturday:
- The 2nd Annual Doggie Olympics will be happening at Big Cottonwood Regional Park today at 9 a.m.
- Rappers Big K.R.I.T. and Casey Veggies will be performing at The Urban Lounge, beginning at 9 a.m.
- The indie-band Dirty Projectors will be live at In The Venue/Club Sound. The show starts at 7 p.m.
- Fiona Apple will be performing at Kingsbury Hall. Doors open at 7:30 p.m.
- The Capitol Theatre will be hosting the celebrated musical Wicked tonight at 8 p.m.
- The '90s ska sensation Reel Big Fish will be at In The Venue/Club Sound at 7 p.m.
- At Rio Tinto Stadium, Real Salt Lake will be kicking off with the Colorado Rapids, starting at 8 p.m.
And for Sunday:
- In Park City, the Park Silly Sunday Market will be starting at 10 a.m.
- Brewvies, City Weekly, TrueTV and Red Rock Brewing will be showing the latest episode of Breaking Bad, for free. The show starts at 8 p.m.
- The Utah Festival Opera presents Faust, beginning at 12:35 p.m.
- Stand-up comedians Marcus and Guy Seidel will be performing at Wiseguys Comedy at 7:30 p.m.
- At 9 p.m., check out Lumpy's Downtown, which will be kicking off its weekly karaoke.
For this weekend's complete list of things to do, click here.
Wolf is also the author of City Weekly's blog The Secret Handshake.
Photo by: Mitchell Haaseth/NBC