Dear GYA, Sure, I would love to have a nice weekend. Some friends are having a barbecue, but ever since I heard about mad cow disease I'm not taking any chances -- it can live in your body for years before it ravages your brain. But you know, it's supposed to be pretty hot this weekend, so maybe I'll go to the beach. But if this greenhouse effect keeps up, we'll all be under water. Do you have any other ideas for things to do this weekend? - Debbie Downer
Debbie, I know that no matter what I suggest for you this weekend, you'll find something to complain about. So, here goes nothing. Let's start with Friday:
- Big Shiny Robot founder and editor, Bryan Young will be signing his new book, Operation: Montauk, at 7 p.m. at The King's English Bookshop.
- Head to Liberty Park for the free Friday Night Flicks outdoor screening of Mary Poppins, beginning at 9 p.m.
- Indie-rocker band the Neon Trees will be performing at The Depot tonight at 7 p.m.
- The historic 25th Street of Ogden will be hosting the Ninth Annual Ogden Arts Festival, going on all day today.
- At 10 p.m., check out SLUG Localized at Urban Lounge, featuring bands like the Puddle Mountain Ramblers, Ugly Valley Boys and Staks O'Lee.
- Comedian Jay Mohr will be performing at Wiseguys West Valley tonight at 7:30 p.m.
As for Saturday:
- The 35th Annual Asian Festival will be going down at South Towne Expo Center, beginning at 10 a.m.
- At Thanksgiving Point, the 38th Utah Scottish Festival will be going on all day today.
- Former University of Utah President and author Chase Peterson will be reading and discussing his new memoir The Guardian Poplar, at The King's English Bookshop, starting at 2 p.m.
- Today and every Saturday through the summer, Pioneer Park will be hosting the Downtown Farmers Market, beginning at 8 a.m.
- At 9 a.m., The Gallivan Center will be the jump off for the Urban Challenge Utah race. Click the link for more info.
- DJ Crooked will be spinning at The Downstairs in Park City tonight at 9 p.m.
And finally, Sunday:
- The Urban Flea Market is going down at Washington Square, starting at 9 a.m.
- Stop by Brewvies at 8 p.m. for a free screening of the hit AMC TV show Mad Men.
- Cafe Niche will be hosting the works of artist Patricia Vidour all day today.
- The Heavy Metal Shop will be celebrating its 25th Anniversary today at 4 p.m.
- In Park City, checkout the Park Silly Sunday Market, happening on Main St. at 10 a.m.
For the weekend's complete list of things to do, click here.
Wolf is also the author of City Weekly's blog The Secret Handshake.