Dear GYA, I hear the new Battleship movie is a total bust and this comes as no surprise to me. I mean, let's be real -- who would want to watch a movie about a stupid board game? Sure, it has boats shooting off guns, but the problem with this film is that none of the actors are buying up boardwalks, hotels and railroads. That's what the people want to see! Anything happening this weekend that doesn't involve seeing Battleship? - Rich Uncle Pennybags
Uncle Pennybags, you're right. Monopoly would be a way better movie than Battleship, but I think it's already been done. You've never seen Wall Street? It's pretty much the same movie. Anyways, here's what's going down this weekend:
Let's start with Friday:
- Ballet West's presentation of Innovations will be happening tonight at the Rose Wagner Center.
- Rapper Brotha Lynch Hung will be on the mic at the Complex, beginning at 9 p.m.
- For some exposure to Salt Lake City's folk and ethnic arts, check out the Living Traditions Festival going on all weekend at Washington Square. Look for the City Weekly booth to pick up some free swag and win mysterious prizes!
- The Park City Library will be hosting multiple screenings of the celebrated film Jeff Who Lives At Home this weekend; click the link for times.
- The heavy metal group Texas Hippie Coalition will be performing at 5 Monkeys, beginning at 9 p.m.
- The UTA Bike Bonanza will be going down at the Gallivan Center, beginning at 4 p.m.
As for Saturday:
- Head down to Lehi for the 25th annual UVU Auto Expo. Rumor has it the Batmobile will be there. The event starts at 7 a.m.
- Celebrate Pacific culture today at Provo high school with the 2012 Utah Pasifika Festival, beginning at 10 a.m.
- The Diverse Coalition will be holding a protest of the Green River Nuclear power plant at 6 p.m. Click the link for more details.
- Norwegian songstress Ane Brun will be performing at The State Room tonight at 9 p.m.
- One of the greatest surf bands of all time, The Ventures, will be jamming at the Egyptian Theatre, starting at 8 p.m.
- The Tournament of Champions battle of the bands will be throwing down at the Basement in Ogden at 6 p.m.
- At 9 p.m., check out Bluegrass rockers Trampled By Turtles performing at The Depot.
And for Sunday:
- Just like every week, Brewvies, Epic Brewing, True TV and City Weekly offer up a free screening of Mad Men, beginning at 10 p.m.
- At 7 p.m., Brewvies will also be showing Pedal-Driven: a bikeumentary; click the link for more details.
- Mo's Neighborhood Grill will be hosting some local stand-up comedy with Sunday Funnies, startin' up at 9:30 p.m.
- Beginning at 9 p.m., head over to Lumpy's Downtown and belt out your favorite Enya track with Lumpy's Karaoke.
- The Great Salt Lake Bird Festival will be going down at Davis County Event Center all day today; click for more info.
- Urban Lounge will be hosting the Artists for Local Agriculture Benefit featuring a slew of great local bands.
For the weekend's complete list of things to do, click here.