Dear GYA, I really messed things up and now I need to make sure my mom has a nice Mother's Day. You see, last weekend I stole a book and spent the whole day reading a never-ending story about a dude named Atreyu and some luck dragons and crap. Long story short, mom was worried sick and now I'm in the doghouse. Any suggestions for a decent Mother's Day weekend? - Bastian Bux
Bastian, I hate stories like that. Have you seen the movie Lost in Translation? Talk about a never-ending story. When I walked out of the theater, I wondered what year it was. Anyways, your mom won't stay mad at you forever. Here are some suggestions for a sweet weekend:
Let's start with Friday:
- The perfect place to pick up a Mother's Day gift arguably will be The Beehive Bazaar going down all weekend at The Shops at Riverwood.
- The Park City Film Series will be presenting screenings of the fiilm Salmon Fishing In The Yemen all weekend long at the Park City Library.
- A good ole-fashioned Pickin' and Fiddlin' contest will be held at the West Valley City Hall today.
- The play In The Next Room (Or, The Vibrator Play) will be showing at the Rose Wagner Theatre this evening.
- For some funky disco, check out French house producer The Phantom's Revenge tonight at W Lounge.
- Head over to Urban Lounge tonight for some local hip-hop with Burnell Washington, Linus Tubbs and YZE.
As for Saturday:
- Country star Clay Walker will be will be performing a one-night-only charity concert at West Jordan Arena, beginning at 7:30 p.m.
- The Fly With The Flock 5k starts at 2:35 p.m. at the Ogden Nature Center.
- Indie-pop star Nashville native Katie Herzig will be performing at The State Room, beginning at 9 p.m.
- Check out a slew of cool local art at the Spring Art Adoption today at the Copper Palate Press.
- Rapper Tech N9ne will be throwing down at the Great Saltair this evening at 6:30 pm.
- Terrace Place Plaza will be showing Thoroughly Modern Millie beginning at 7:30 p.m.
And finally Sunday (Mother's Day):
- Red Rock Rondo will be performing for free today at the Cathedral of The Madeleine, beginning at 8 p.m.
- Every Sunday, Brewvies, Epic Brewing, True TV and City Weekly present a free screening of the latest Mad Men epsisode starting at 8 p.m.
- Some local stand-up comedy will be on stage at Mo's Neighborhood Grill with Sunday Funnies at 9:30 p.m.
- The Capitol Theatre will be hosting the Utah Opera's presentation: Of Mice & Men at 7:30 p.m.
- Kasino Karaoke at Piper Down, beginning at 9 p.m.
For the weekend's entire list of things to do, click here.
Wolf is also the author of City Weekly's blog The Secret Handshake.