Dear GYA, I hear it's Cinco de Mayo on Saturday and hey, next to Lobsterfest, this is my favorite national holiday! Ya, you're lookin' at the USA's biggest Cinco fan. In fact, did you know that Cinco de Mayo in American means ... well, no one really knows what it means. Anyways, any ideas for Cinco de Ricko's ultimate weekend? - Rick Santorum
an idiot misinformed: Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for May 5th, which commemorates the 1862 Battle of Puebla, where a Mexican army defeated the French. However, I'm glad you observe the holiday. Here are some suggestions for your ultimate weekend:
Let's start with Friday:
- The '80s College Bash dance party is going down at The Complex, beginning at 9 p.m.
- Urban Lounge will be offering up a hefty dose of wobbles tonight with local dubstep producer Dubwise. Doors open at 9 p.m.
- For a taste of classic rock, check out The Led Zeppelin Experience featuring No Quarter at The Depot, starting at 9 p.m.
- Terrace Plaza Playhouse will be raising the curtains for Thoroughly Modern Millie. The show starts at 7:30 p.m.
- Bicycle enthusiasts unite for the 2012 Utah Bike Summit at Ogden's Union Station Museum today at 9 a.m.
- Get all that Styx out of your system at Tony's Karaoke, beginning at 9 p.m.
As for Saturday:
- The Cinco de Mayo 5k Run for Cusco will be kicking off the day's activities at Farmington Elementary at 9 a.m.
- In The Venue/Club Sound will be hosting Cinco featuring Bl3nd and Tonic, beginning at 8 p.m.
- The Kimball Art Center (Park City) will be hosting the works of famed Hispanic painter Frida Khalo all day today.
- Latin DJ Hector Romero will be throwing a I Love Ibiza dance party at W Lounge at 9 p.m.
- Club Elevate will be hosting Latin musicians The Baka Boyz at 9 p.m.
- Learn how to do the cha cha tonight at Date Night Dance hosted by Provo's Covey Center for the Arts, beginning at 7:30 p.m.
- Don't forget Saturday is Free Comic Book Day, so learn how to create your own comics at The SLCC Community Writing Center, beginning at 1 p.m.
- The Live Green SLC! Festival is happening at 10 a.m. at Library Square.
- Real Salt Lake will take on the New England Revolution at home, beginning at 7 p.m.
- For some roller derby action, check out the Bomber Babes as they face off with Death Dealers on their new banked track at the Salt Palace Convention Center at 7 p.m.
And for Sunday:
- Freestyle Fellowship rapper Aceyalone will be behind the mic at Bar Deluxe at 9 p.m.
- At 1 p.m,. head over to the Main Library for Craft Sabbath: Mother's Day Boutique, beginning at 1 p.m. City Weekly's The Word will be there, shootin' pics and handing out swag!
- Fresh will be hosting a series of impromptu snapshot photography entitled Les Enfants Terribles all day today.
- Brewvies, True TV, City Weekly and Epic Brewing will be hosting their weekly free screening of Mad Men, beginning at 8 p.m.
- The Park City Film Series will be showing the film We Need To Talk About Kevin at the Park City at 6 p.m.
- For some local stand-up comedy, check out Sunday Night Funnies at Mo's Neighborhood Grill, starting at 9:30 p.m.
For the weekends complete list of things to do, click here.
Wolf is also the author of City Weekly's blog of useless fodder The Secret Handshake.