Postcards from Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker:
8. Guten tag from Vienna! I might stay longer, but I´m sure you won´t have any trouble putting the new cop shop on Library Square.
7. The beer here is amazing! How’s that new Utah liquor law working out for you? Ha ha.
6. That´s me with Gabor Demszky and Zoran Jankovic, mayors of Budapest and Ljubljana. We bought matching lederhosen!
5. I hear the yachting is good in Providence, R.I.—stiff sails. Off to the U.S. Mayors Convention—don´t wait up for me!
4. Forget yachting; Rhode Island is dull, dull, dull! A bunch of us mayors are taking a rafting trip on the Salmon River. With global warming, the rapids should be killer!
3. I heard those librarians are giving us guff. Go ahead and veto their budget. See you next week.
2. On second thought, I’m going back to Vienna. Have a nice life, suckers!
1. OK, whatever—just build the damned cop shop across the street.