Occasionally we’ll get a call from someone having problems with their Ausky or their Bascottie or some other rare or unknown breed. Racking our brains trying to recall a dog that we ought to know, we finally confess our ignorance and ask “...what is that exactly?” The answer is usually a mix or “hybrid” which is more commonly referred to these days as a “designer dog” The Ausky being a cross between an Aussie and a Husky and the Bascottie (...no, it’s not a cookie) is a Basset Hound and a Scottish Terrier.
All breeds originated from some sort of cross, but in recent years there have been an abundance of new breeds popping up and people are paying serious money for them. It started with the Doodles and the Puggles and who knows where it will end.
Here’s a few designer breed names we invented to amuse ourselves. And if you happen to own one of these “fictitious” breeds, then please accept our apology in advance!
• Cockerdoodle: Cocker Spaniel & Labradoodle
• Chippiniepoo: MinPin, Poodle & Chihuahua
• Chakita: Chow-Chow & Akita
• Great Scott!: Great Dane & Scottish Terrier
• ToyBox: Toy Poodle & Boxer
• Peking-Nose: Pekingese & Blue Nose Pit Bull
• Bull Shit: Bull Dog & Shih Tzu
• Yankee Doodle Dandy: Dandie Dinmont & Labradoodle (from Boston!)
I’m sure there’s many more fun names you can come up with. But if you’re seriously looking for a hybrid or “designer dog” try your local shelter. They’re very affordable. You’ll probably find that Foxhoodle you’ve been looking for right there waiting for you. Or waiting for... something else?