Dear GYA, I know you probably aren't worried about the Mayan apocalypse, but I’m afraid some of the less intelligent citizens of the world are gonna go out and make babies tonight. Seriously, think about it. What if in nine months there's a whole generation of idiots? For the love of god, is there anything you can suggest that these people do this weekend besides baby-makin'? - Mark Teterbaum, Park City---
Mark, This is a good point. We should always practice safe sex, especially during an apocalypse. Here are some decent options for the weekend. Let's start with Friday:
- Because the Mayan apocalypse was invented to sell drinks at bars, there's a slew of activities going down tonight. Check out City Weekly Music Editor Austen Diamond's "Bar-ocalypse" run-down right here.
- The Utah Symphony: Holiday Celebration with Bravo Broadway! will be happening at Abravanel Hall at 8 p.m.
- Wiseguys Ogden will be hosting stand-up comedian Marcus, starting at 8 p.m.
- Egyptian Theater's A Christmas Carol On The Air will kick off this evening at 7:30.
- A Time For Forgiving: A Christmas Musical will be going down at Kingsbury Hall, starting at 7 p.m.
- The Salt Lake Krishna Temple will be throwing a Kirtan & Yoga Fest, beginning at 7 p.m.
- For some hockey action, check out the Utah Grizzlies as they take on the Las Vegas Wranglers at 7 p.m.
- DJ and producer GriZ will be performing at Urban Lounge tonight. The doors open at 9.
- Abravanel Hall will be hosting the Utah Symphony and Utah Opera's presentation of Here Comes Santa Claus, starting at 11 a.m.
- At Red Butte Garden, check out the Winter Solstice Celebration at 10 a.m.
- In Park City, The Downstairs will be featuring a Ugly Sweater Party hosted by DJ Chris Masterson (aka the older from Malcom in the Middle). Doors open at 9 p.m.
- DJ Reach will be on stage at Park City Live. Doors are at 9 p.m.
- The Egyptian Theater will be in full Christmas swing with the Kurt Bestor's Spectacular Christmas, starting at 6 p.m.
- Ballet West's The Nutcracker will be happening at Capitol Theatre, beginning at 9 p.m.
- Morgan Snow and John Davis will be at The Garage, starting at 6 p.m.
- The Deerhunter Pub will be hosting singer Scott Helmer at 9 p.m.
For the weekend's complete list of things to do, click here.