Dear GYA, As a woman I'm completely shocked and disappointed with Representative Todd Akin's recent comments. But as a small-business owner, I'm even more pissed because I was two days away from debuting my new line of Pinots, Legitimate Grape. Well, now that the wine dream is over, anything good this weekend? - Michelle Trufflemore, Sandy---
Michelle, it's a shame that Todd Akin is such an ignorant ass. But you're right, it's also a shame that no one can preface anything with the word "legitimate" ever again. I was at Outback Steakhouse the other night, and one of my best friends bit into a porterhouse and said, "Man, that's a legitimate steak." The booth next to us got up and left. Anyways, here's what's happening this weekend:
Let's start with Friday:
- Snowbird Ski Resort will be showing a free outdoor screening of the film The Princess Bride, starting at 8 p.m.
- To see women dancing in ice cream and other desserts, check out Mess Fest at Trails Gentlemen's Club, beginning at 8 p.m.
- At 9 p.m., complextro DJ Lazy Rich will be performing at The Complex.
- Legendary reggae band, Steel Pulse will be at The Depot tonight at 9 p.m.
And for Saturday:
- Celebrate sustainability at the 3rd annual EarthWell Festival at Jordanelle State Park, beginning at 10 a.m.
- For some serious funk, check out Dumpstaphunk at Canyons Resort this evening. The show starts at 6 p.m.
- The DJ duo, EC Twins will be on stage at The Depot. Doors open at 9 p.m.
- Learn all about Muslim culture at the Eid-al-Fitr Celebration located at the Main Library Square, beginning at 2 p.m.
- The grand opening of Kitty City will be going down at the Humane Society of Utah at 10 a.m.
- The iconic singer Rickie Lee Jones will be performing at Deer Valley this evening. The show starts at 7 p.m.
- Snowbirds annual Oktoberfest festival will be happening all day today. Admission is free.
And finally, Sunday's events:
- For some roller derby action, head over to the Wasatch Roller Derby and check out the Bonneville Bone Crushers as they take on the Choice City Rebels at 10 a.m.
- At 9:30 pm., City Weekly, TrueTV, Red Rock Brewery and Brewvies will be showing a free screening of the latest Breaking Bad episode.
- Huey Lewis & The News will be on stage at Red Butte Garden tonight at 7:30 p.m.
For this weekend's complete list of things to do, click here.
Wolf is also the author of City Weekly's blog, The Secret Handshake.