Dear GYA, I can't take this crappy weather anymore, man. But don't worry, don't worry. I'm not gonna do what everyone thinks I'm gonna do ... and flip out, man! I dunno, man, I gotta get outta here. Maybe I'll head down to Vegas for the weekend. So all I wanna know is, who's comin' with me? Who's comin' with me, man?! -Brian---
Brian, I'll go with you. However, there's tons of good stuff going down this weekend that you should consider before jumping ship and heading down to Vegas.
Let's start with Friday's events:
- At 6:35 p.m., head over to Spring Mobile ballpark and cheer on the Salt Lake City Bees as they take on the Tuscon Padres for the season home opener. As usual, this will be a quadruple header going on through Monday. Tickets are $8-$25.
- At Kingsbury Hall, check out the Golden Dragon Acrobats at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are going for $19.50- $35.50.
- Do some local artisan shopping on 2100 South between 950 East and 1150 East at 6 p.m. tonight at the Sugar House Art Walk.
- Remember that tamborine-thwapping neo-hippie group from the '90s, Rusted Root? Well, they're back and way older and way more worldy. I hope they play the hell out of "Send Me On My Way." Skinny Lister is also on the bill. Check 'em out at the State Room at 9 p.m.
Now for Saturday's events:
- Renown DJ and producer RJD2 will be performing live at the Depot at 9 p.m. Arguably one of the best producers in the past decade, RJD2 originally cut his teeth as a hip-hop producer for Midwest emcees like Blueprint, Copywrite and Diverse. Over the past 10 years, he's branched out and hits just about every angle with his diverse live sets mixing audio and video and everything in between. The show starts at 9 p.m. Tickets are going for $25 at the door.
- At Urban Lounge, SLUG Magazine will be hosting another installment of its Localized series showcasing punks bands like the Handicapitalists, Stark Raving Mad and Chainwhi. Doors open at 10 p.m. and tickets are only $5.
- The City Weekly Street Team will be at Liquid Joe's handing out free swag and taking photos for Club Night featuring the Spazmatics. The show starts at 10 p.m.
- At 7:30 p.m., Ballet West's Emeralds will be going down at the Capitol Theatre. Tickets are going for $18-$74.
- Renown yoga master, Bikram Choudbury will be holding a lecture and book signing at the Jeanne Wagner Theatre at 5 p.m.
- In roller-derby news, the Diamond Divas will be taking on the Red Rockettes at the Derby Depot at 7 p.m.
And for Sunday's to-do's:
- Just like every Sunday City Weekly, Epic Brewing and True TV will be presenting a free screening of the latest Mad Men episode at Brewvies. The show starts at 8 p.m.
- Stand-up comedy with Sunday Funnies at Mo's Neighborhood Grill. No cover, and the show starts at 9:30 p.m.
- Check out the North Face Masters of Snowboarding at Snowbird, going on all day.
For the extensive list of weekend events, click here.
Wolf is also the author of City Weekly's The Secret Handshake.