Dear GYA, One does not simply have an awesome weekend. It's a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over having fun on our days off. I feel there's a dark and menacing force attempting to thwart my enjoyment at every turn. Any suggestions?- Boromir, Rivendell---
Boromir, having an excellent weekend shouldn't be this hard. But luckily for you there's plenty of good stuff going on. At 2 p.m. on Saturday, you should go check out SLC Nerd at The Complex. There will be tons of sci-fi vendors, food, live music and probably a few people dressed in Lord of the Rings costumes. Nerds unite!
Remember that goofball dad from Full House, Bob Saget? Turns out he's actually pretty funny and he's doing a stand-up bit at 7 p.m. over at Wiseguys Comedy Cafe in West Valley City. Though he also once hosted America's Funniest Home Videos, this is not a family-friendly affair. His take on comedy is typically pretty dark and raunchy. Tickets are still available for $25.
However, if you are lugging your kids around, then take 'em over to Rio Tinto Stadium as Real Salt Lake takes on Chivas USA Saturday evening. Kick-off is at 7 p.m. and you can still score cheap seats via the new Subway promotion that offers up 5 tickets for $50. Plus, these tickets are transferable so you don't have to use them all at once.
Other good stuff going down on Saturday:
- Hip-hop duo Eligh and Amplive are performing at The Urban Lounge at 9 p.m.
- Canyons Resort hosts rockers Little Feat at 4 p.m.
As for Sunday...
- Head down to Spanish Fork for the annual Holi Festival of Colors. Join the 50,000 revelers who flock to the Krishna Temple every year for dancing, groovy tunes and, of course, chalk-bomb explosions. The festivities start at 10 a.m.
- For something a little more laid back, Brewvies will be screening the season premiere of Mad Men for free! The show starts at 9 p.m. but show up early if you want a seat. This one will be packed.
- Kingsbury Hall hosts Rain: A Tribute to The Beatles at 2 p.m. -- a great way to show your kids why you are the way you are.
For the weekend's entire list of things to do, click here!
Wolf is also the author of City Weekly's The Secret Handshake.